Hambleton parish population estimate: 100 (2000)
Yearsley - today
The hamlet of Yearsley is situated on a lofty eminence, exposed to northern and eastern blasts as they sweep over the Blakemoor Mountains. It is only 5 miles NE from Easingwold, but it is said to be generally a fortnight or three weeks later in vegetation than that town, though so short a distance from it.
Yearsley - a History
A Roman tessellated pavement was found in 1856, about 2 miles west of Yearsley. North East of the hamlet are three tumuli.
The following extract has been taken from an old report:
"Yearsley, or Eureslage (signifying its lofty position) as it is spelt in the original Doomsday Book. It contained at the time of the Norman survey, three carucates of land held by Thomas de Colvis of Roger de Mowbray, who held them of the king in capite by the rent of two shillings.
Its derivation may be thus defined erures or eruras, probably from its elevated position, and lag or leaz, a field or open place. Yearsley is another township in the parish of Coxwold, five miles north-east of Easingwold, containing 121 inhabitants. It is situated in a healthy position invigorated by the fresh breezes from the Blakemore Mountains.
Nearly the whole of the township, which contains 2,686 acres of land, is the property of Sir George Wombwell, Bart, who is Lord of the Manor.
Before the dissolution of the monasteries there was a small chapel at Yearsley, of which no vestige remains, although there is traditional evidence of its existence in the name of an old tree still standing and known as the Chapel Tree. And pieces of stained glass with other fragments have also been found on the spot.
Near the site of the old chapel, the worship of the Church of England is now regularly conducted in a modest ecclesiastical edifice built in the yearl839 by the Lord ofthe Manor, who allows £10 a year to the schoolmaster for the instruction of poor children. The Wesleyans hold services in the school of poor children every Lord's Day"
Susan Brooke discovered the site of a late 15th to 16th century pottery at Soury Hill, Yearsley between 1936 and 1939. The pottery probably supplied the nearby Abbey of Byland. Cistercian type wares were made, sometimes in moss-green glaze and also good copies of contemporary French lobed cups in green lead glaze. Examples can be seen in the Yorkshire Museum m York.
John Wedgwood, of the famous Staffordshire family founded a pottery in Yearsley in the mid 17th century. We read in the Coxwold Parish Register of 1653 that "On November 8th, John Wedgwood and Elizabeth Harrison were married " - the first mention of any Wedgwood in the parish, although the Harrisons were an old established family. From the mid- 17th century until his death in 1682, John Wedgwood and his son John, who died in 1707, made replica horloges kopen nederland large cisterns, puzzle jugs, plates and bowls. The Victoria and Albert Museum has a fine puzzle jug made in Yearsley inscribed "John Wedgwood 1691". After the son's death, pottery continued to be made by his son William, about whom the song was written, ln Yearsley there were pancheons made, By Willie Wedgwood, that young blade.
In the early 18th century William's son, another John, transferred the pottery to Heworth, York, where it continued into the 19th century.
Yearsley appears to have been the seat or residence of some branch of the family Ros, for among the testamentary burials recorded in Torrs MSS we find that Thomas Ros of Yersley was interred in the Priory of Newburgh.
Newburgh is situated among the sylvan scenery of the north-east side of Easingwold, from which it is four and a half miles distant, and bordering on the beautiful village of Coxwold and the romantic prospects of the Hambleton Hills.
In the early part of the 20th century there was a church, chapel, school, village hall, the Wombwell Arms, a blacksmith and two shops, including a bakery. Only the church remains, built in 1839. It has an interesting pulpit, carved partly by he first Vicar, who dedicated it to his father, Frederic Hedger. The other part is reputed to be carved by the early Thompsons of Kilburn, famous for the "Mouse" furniture.
Today, the character of Yearsley is changing - from livestock and agriculture only to a mixture of retirement homes, commuters, with the livestock and agriculture. The population is on the increase with several new properties built in the last twenty years. The population is around one hundred.
Frank Collins 2003
Will require Adobe Reader to view
YEARSLEY, in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 5 miles NE. of Easingwold. Population 170