VISIT Easingwold- Yorkshire at its best

The Village of ALDWARK

 Hambleton parish population estimate:

 

1991

140

2000

120

Area Website:  http://www.aldwarkparish.co.uk/

The post-glacial age brought forest to Aldwark, in which 'ancient British kings pursued wild boar and beasts of prey'. When the Saxons named the village (ald weorc means old fort), they probably referred to Roman times when a road from York went along the Ouse, through Beningbrough, joining the road from Easingwold (along which St Cuthbert is also said to have journeyed) and crossing the river at Aldwark ferry.

 Drake's Eboracum refers to a Roman station on the banks of the river at Aldwark. The river and landing were used commercially from Roman times well into the present century, taking lead, minerals and farm produce downstream, lime and coal upstream. A warehouse, now gone, was built in the vicinity of the old fort at the bottom of Common Lane. 

 

One of the few Toll bridges in North Yorkshire takes the current road from Aldwark over to Great Ouseburn and into the Harrogate District for a mere 40pence (2010 prices). The wooden slatted surface is friendly for bicycles and pedestrians  for which a fine view can be obtained of the Ouse and the countryside around.  

 

 

In the Domesday survey of Adewere in 1086, Ligulf was said to have 'one Manor of eight curates and the rest waste'. The village was also mentioned in the Perambulation of the Forest of Galtres, 1163, but escaped the strict forest laws.

 

The descendants of Sir William Fitzwilliam, Marshal to the army of William the Conqueror, inherited the estate through marriage to the daughter of Henry Frankland of Aldwark, for whose family the present Manor (now a 5 star Hotel and golf course) was eventually built. Subsequently Lady Frankland Russell commissioned the present church of St Stephen in 1852. It was consecrated on 7th November 1854.

 

The 'township of Aldwark', when owned by Lord Walsingham, came under the hammer on 29th May 1911. It consisted of a Manor House, 13 farms and smallholdings, one with a public house, a school with house , and 18 cottages, totalling 2.385 acres. At the time, a Mr William Mason rented three farms, each with houses and buildings and a total of 747 acres - all for £787 a year.

 The Manor was first sold separately in 1950, and the rest of the village is now part of a trust after the death of the well-liked Lord Ancaster.

 

 Should you visit us, beware the Witch of Hollows Hole, 'doomed for a certain time to walk the night , and for the day confined to fast in fires, till the foul crimes done in his days of nature be burned and purged away'. Exorcised by a priest along ago, his troubled spirit was fastened to the ground with the 'Conjuring Stone'.

 Barbara Ripley

 Aldwark 2000   


from Baine's Directory of the County of York 1823

  
Map of Aldwark - 1856

Or click here for a full size map (335Kb)

Will require Adobe Reader to view 

 

 

ALDWARK, in the parish of Alne, and wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 5 miles ESE. of Boroughbridge. This village is situated on the eastern bank of the Ure, which is here navigable. Population 163. This place carries evident marks of antiquity in its name; and through it, by the ferry, the Roman Road from Isurium to Eboracum passed; then went through the Forest of Galtres to Beningbrough, and entered the city of York at Bootham‑Bar

 

 

 


Location

Click for more information on The George Hotel in Easingwold

Visit The George at Easingwold, and enjoy an inn renowned for its accommodation, fine food and friendly staff. You are assured the very best of Yorkshire hospitality,more.

Contact

Easingwold Tourist Information
Chapel Lane
Easingwold
York
YO61 3AE
Tel 01347 821530
Fax 01347 821530

Email us

It's a fact

The octagonal church at Coxwold holds a unique annual service for cyclists in May, one of only two in the country and which attracts riders on two wheels from all over the north of England

Supported by

Supported by: Lottery Funding