SHIPTON BY BENINGBROUGH
Hambleton parish population estimate: 730 (2000)
Shipton - a History
Shipton by Beningbrough is a small village, divided by the A19 trunk road, about equidistant from York and Easingwold. Originally named Hipton, after the briar scrub land of what became part of the Royal Forest of Galtres, the village was first mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086.
Between 1700 and 1900 the village thrived as part of the Beningbrough estate, ~ following which its sale in lots formed the village as it is today.
Shipton has been, and remains, predominantly a farming village, but it now has significant transport interests, building and joinery concerns, a lively public house (the Dawnay Arms, formerly the Bay Tree), a shop and Post Office, an active Community Centre, a County standard bowling green and a sports field.
The Church of the Holy Evangelists was built by the Dawnay family in the mid 1800s, including the early vicarage which is now in use as a nursing home.
The large infant and junior school of the Forest of Galtres, a joint venture by the Anglican and Methodist Churches which carried on a long tradition of educational excellence in the village, was founded upon a generous bequest, in 1657, from Anne Middleton (widow of a wealthy York merchant) for the purpose of forming a free Grammar School in the village. The associated Trust formed a valuable part of educational funding both within and around the village until the present day, though the purposes of the Trust have been adapted to changing legislation and educational needs.
Increasing traffic density along the A19 has formed the one adverse aspect of village life and some 50 years of hopes and plans for a by-pass have yet to be realised. Ever hopeful. the village remains a happy and friendly community, with many pleasures and advantages for those who live there.
Derek & Vera Hartland
Will require Adobe Reader to view
"SHIPTON, (and Shipton Smithy) in the parish of Overton, replica orologi italia, wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's 6 miles NW. of York. Here are a Methodist chapel, and a chapel of Calvinistic dissenters. Pop. 377.
A school was here endowed, by Mrs Ann Middleton, of York, with 40L. for education of the children of the freeholders only. -Her Will bears date, August 24, 1655."
"SHIPTON SMITHY, a hamlet in the township of Overton-with-Shipton, and parish of Overton, wapentake of Bulmer; 6 miles from York."