NEWTON ON OUSE
Hambleton parish population estimate: 530 (2000)
Village Website = http://newtononouse.org
Newton - Today
Newton on Ouse is a delightful village some 9 miles north-east of York, and 8 miles south-west of Easingwold. It lies close to the River Ouse - which, until the construction of the nearby railway in the 1840s, was the chief commercial highway - particularly for the transportation of coal and lime.
Newton - a History
Following the Norman Conquest, the Manor of Newton was given to Ralph Paganel, a Norman Baron and one-time High Sheriff of Yorkshire, as a reward for his services to William the Conqueror. In the 12th century much of the land in Newton was given to the Hospital of St. Leonard in York, in whose possession it continued until, following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, it became Crown property. By 1620 the Manor of Newton had become part of the estate of Sir John Bourchier of Beningbrough, a Parliamentarian, who was later to sign the Death Warrant of King Charles I.
The majority of the land and housing in Newton continued to be part of the Beningbrough Hall Estate until 1916 when the division of the Estate into lots for sale afforded many tenants the opportunity to purchase their properties.
Since 1958 Beningbrough Hall has been in the ownership of the National Trust and today it, together with its beautiful gardens, is a popular tourist attraction.
The present-day village (part of which lies within a Conservation Area) has a Church, a Methodist Chapel and two popular Public Houses. The Village School (probably designed by the York Architect G.T. Andrews and now a Grade II Listed Building) closed in the 1980s and a former Victorian School continues to serve the community as a Parish Hall. The well-maintained playing-field includes a splendid football pitch.
Although its Tower dates from the early 12th century, the Church itself is a more modern structure, having been rebuilt twice in the 19th century (on both occasions by the Dawnays of Beningbrough Hall). It was thought by some at the time that the second, and final, rebuilding in 1849 was because the then new church at Shipton was more handsome than that at Newton! Whatever the reason, the result was a delightful church, with a spire that is a landmark, visible for many miles around.
The red brick Methodist Chapel was built in 1924 to replace an earlier one (now a private house) and the bricks brought by river barge to a landing stage in the village. Services are still regularly held at both Church and Chapel.
In the 19th century the Newton Feast, held over two days during Whitsuntide week, was an occasion for the whole community to enjoy. Visitors came from far and wide - many arriving aboard the River King which sailed from York each evening. Today this annual Feast is still held, but on a Saturday in June , and provides an opportunity for the community to come together to raise much needed money for local projects and charities. Nowadays, however, the many visitors arrive by more conventional modes of travel!
The past twenty years has seen the expansion of the village, with many new houses being built. Despite this, however, the population of Newton on Ouse has still some way to go before it surpasses the 626 residents recorded in 1871 - the time when the population was at its peak.
Newton on Ouse
Postscript - there is an excellent personal account of Newton's history on their website - here
Will require Adobe Reader to view
NEWTON UPON OUSE, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 7 miles S. of Easingwold. Here is a handsome church; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mrs. Earle, incumbent the Rev. John Gatenby. Here are also two chapels, viz. Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Population 495.
BENINGBROUGH, in the parish of Newton upon Ouse, and wapentake of Bulmer, 8 miles NW. of York. Here is Beningbrough Hall, the seat of Mrs. Margaret Earle, of the ancient family of the Bouchiers, who came into England with William the Conqueror. Population 99.
see Linton on Ouse, also in the parish of Newton on Ouse