Hambleton parish population estimate: 1260 (2000)
Linton-on-Ouse is situated on the upper level of the River Ouse, but not on a major road. Minor roads provide the only links to surrounding villages, the A19 and the A1 making a peaceful location and safe local cycling for residents. The brick-built houses are of various styles and dates, the oldest being about 200 years old.
The vilage is dominated by the adjacent RAF training base, recently home to an eager Prince William during his training for his pilots wings.
Linton - a History
Long gone are the days when the village boasted a butcher, blacksmith, carpenter & undertaker, carrier, huckster, roadman, saddler, a bicycle hire shop and several farmers. Today the pleasant tree-lined village street has a cabinet maker, an excellent general store incorporating a news agency and post office, and one working farm, although there are a number of other farms, without the village street but within the parish boundary. The public house bears the name College Arms.
In 1714 the Manor of Linton was bequeathed to University College Oxford by Dr. John Radcliffe, a Yorkshireman educated at Wakefield Grammar School and University College. In 1950 householders were given the opportunity to buy their rented properties. Today only three farms belong to the College.
Beech Tree Court (1988-95) and Grange Garth (1990-95) are both built on the site of former farms; River View bungalows (1978-79) are situated on what was previously agricultural land. Half Moon Street (the first R.A.F. houses built in 1937) became private housing from 1988. Combined, these developments doubled the number of civilian dwellings in less than two decades. A further recent addition is the 50 renovated former M.O.D. properties off Linton Woods Lane which has brought the current housing stock to approximately 215 dwellings.
Linton-on-Ouse Primary School dates back to 1958. Constructed to educate children of civilian and service families, it is sited half a mile distant from the last property in the village street on the eastern boundary of the aforementioned refurbished, housing estate. Prior to this for some 24 years, Linton children had attended Newton School. Between the years 1871 and1934, the village had had its own school, which had been built to serve also as a chapel-of-ease.
After some 106 years, in 1977, University College Oxford relinquished its ownership of this building, which then became Linton-on-Ouse Village Hall and, as part of the arrangement, passed into the public trusteeship of the Parish Council. Village Hall affairs are taken care of by an annually elected management committee.
Early committees worked hard to build an annex, so creating an entrance foyer, toilets, kitchen and committee room. Recent years have seen significant improvements to the facilities but the main focus of a multitude of events has been to raise monies for a major restoration of the roof, hopefully in the near future. The most involved of these events is Linton Village Festival held in early June - in effect a revival of Linton Feast, recalled as last taking place on the Monday and Tuesday before Whit Sunday during the mid 1920s.
The greater community enjoys the benefit of increasing co-operation between the civilian and service elements; not least through the Parish Council and village hall related activities.
Linton on Ouse RAF base
In 1990, the Village paid a tribute to Squadrons 408 and 426 of the Royal Canadian Air Force, who flew from Linton during World War II, by erecting a 'Memorial Cairn', sited to the front of the village hall. The R.A.F. had arrived in 1937, necessitating the (reluctant) hand-over of much agricultural land. The newly created bomber station played a major role during World War II. 1940 provided a particularly memorable occurrence in the station's history, when after a raid in the Cologne area, a certain Flying Officer Leonard Cheshire nursed back to its base a Whitley bomber bearing a 12' x 4' hole in its fuselage. Cheshire was awarded the first of his three DSOs for this feat.
The Station is now the home of No.1 Flying Training School. The best vantage point for viewing aircraft activity is a specially created area on the perimeter of the airfield just off the road to Aldwark. The Air Base's motto is A Flumine Impugnamus which translates We strike from the river.
Linton and the River Ouse
It was the Ouse which first brought prosperity to the village, when it was a transhipment point for lead loaded at Boroughbridge and other Dales products. Navigation was aided by the construction of a lock and weir in about 1767. The lock and lock-keeper's cottage are both listed as being of special architectural interest.
In 1923, Viscount Lascelles with H.R.H. Princess Mary opened a small hydro-electric power station on the weir. Accounts as to the extent and precise destiny of the supply differ. However, it is beyond dispute that the village and in due course, the R.A.F. Station, both benefited. The operation became uneconomic and was closed in 1961 but the building remains, denuded of its generators.
In recent years serious degeneration of the lock and its surrounds has been halted by major works substantially funded by a National Lottery grant. The marina is a centre for some water-based leisure pursuits and is a popular destination for parishioners enjoying a pleasant stroll especially now there is a cafe/restaurant located next to the locks together with a small caravan site.
based on a description by Mary Watson
Will require Adobe Reader to view
LINTON UPON OUSE, in the parish of Newton upon Ouse, and wapentake of Bulmer; 7 miles S. of Easingwold. Here is a Roman Catholic chapel, replique montre de luxe and a school with a small endowment. Population, 268.