The Village of Alne
Poopulation 660 (2000)
Alne is a pretty and typical Yorkshire village situated four miles south-west of Easingwold in the little valley of the river Kyle. The name is spelt Alna in the Domesday Book and is thought to be associated with the alder tree, Alnus, which used to be plentiful in the area. However, some contend that the name comes from Alhn, referring to a temple of Druids, so there could be some connection with early Druid rites.
The church dates from about 1150 and the outstanding feature is the decorated Norman doorway, considered to be unique. At the crossroads, Alne Cross, to the south of the village, is a stone plague cross dating from 1604. The villagers and traders left their money and goods here when the plague prevented markets from functioning.
There are about 240 households in Alne, comprising some 550 adults. There is also a "Cheshire Home", a pub / restaurant (The Blue Bell), sadly no longer a post office and general store, but a thriving village hall, a Methodist Chapel, a holiday Caravan Park and a modern primary school. A wide variety of clubs and associations are active, including a successful Cricket Club (with its own ground and pavilion), the Alne Parish Leisure Association, a local charity which has recently obtained land to develop as a sports and recreation area. A Street Fayre is held annually in early June which has a very forward looking committee! So much so that the Sunday Times has named it in their top ten vilage fairs in the UK!.
The main part of the village has been designated a Conservation Area and, with the large colourful front gardens, the wide verges and the cherry trees that line the main street, Alne can certainly claim to be one of the most attractive villages in the area.
Alne 2000, and updated by the website editor 2013
from Baine's Directory of the County of York 1823
Will require Adobe Reader to view
ALNE, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 3.5 miles SW. of Easingwold. The church is a handsome edifice, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Bulmer. The living is a vicarage, and in the patronage of William John Bethel, Esq. of which the Rev. Henry Chaloner, A. M. is the incumbent. This village takes its name from the Latin word alnus, (alder tree) it being situated in a low swampy country, which formerly abounded with alders, and thence was called the Forest of Alders. Population 386.