Hambleton parish population estimate: 100 (2000)
Thormanby - a History
Set on a hill, the village is called Tormozbi in the Domesday Book. Other spellings of the name since then include Thormothby, Thormetby, Thornanby and Thornomby. The -by of the name is a common Danish place-name element meaning "settlement". The first part of the name, Thormon or Thormothr, was the personal name of the original Danish settler, and came from Thor, the Norse god, and mothr, "a gift".
Before the Norman Conquest the land had been held by Arkil, a Dane and Gamel, a Saxon, but by the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, the owner was Robert de Mallet, a Norman supporter of William the Conqueror. There were 4 carucates of land supporting 2 ploughs, the land being worth 10 shillings and mostly waste.
Trade had generally flourished in the past. The farm lands were enclosed in 1781-2.
The Great North Road running through the village provided some employment, for in coaching days, fast mails changed horses on their journeys at the stables of Messrs Barber, Castle & Mills at the bottom of the hill. There were at one time three inns, but only the existing Black Bull remains. A directory of 1891 lists the following trades being pursued in the village: farmers, joiner, blacksmith, grocer, postmaster, farrier, steam threshing, victualler, boot and shoemaker.
Most of the land in the village was owned by Viscount Downe of Wykeham, but much of this was sold in 1918 when the Sessay estate was disposed of.
Down a lane is the delightful church of St Mary's. Parts of the church are Norman, with the nave, side wall and north aisle built about 1200. The brick tower dates from about 1822. A small Wesleyan chapel built in 1875 has now been converted into a private house. The village has no parish hall, the parish rooms having been burned down in 1934. Records of village affairs go back to 1894, when the first Parish Meeting was held under the chairmanship of William Plummer.
The village has seen a steady decline in population. In 1852, 154 lived here; by 1911, 107, and the present electoral roll has 85 electors. Nevertheless, it is a friendly and positive community. The Parish Meeting minutes record calls for 30 mph speed limits as far back as the early 1930s. Today we are still looking forward to the by-pass promised several years ago, but currently deleted from the road building programme.
Will require Adobe Reader to view
THORMANBY, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of Ripon; 4 miles NW of Easingwold. Here is a church, dedicated to St Mary; the living is a rectory; patrons, Lors Vese Downe and Sir George Cayley, Bart, alternatelt; incumbent, the Hon Rev W H Downay. Population 118.