Hambleton parish population estimate: 420 (2000)
Link to the excellent Husthate Village Website
Husthwaite stands on an east-west spur of the Howardian Hills about three miles from the market town of Easingwold and two miles off the busy A19 road between York and Thirsk. The village plan is a variant of the typical North Yorkshire pattern of a linear main street running east to west. Midway along this main street lies the triangular village green dominated by a beautiful lime tree which provides shade to visitors resting under its branches on a hot summer day. Overlooking the green is the oldest building in the village, the classic 12th century church of St.Nicholas.
Looking north one can see the famous "White Horse" carved into the Hambleton Hills above Kilburn, whilst to the west are panoramic views of the Pennines
The highest point in the village is Beacon Banks, so called as it was one of the sites selected to warn the nation of the approach of the Spanish Armada. Going west out of the village and up Malton Street we pass Gibbet Hill where miscreants allegedly received their just deserts in former times!
The name Husthwaite is derived from the Saxon words hus, meaning house, and thwaite, meaning a clearing in a wood. The site of the village was formerly a portion of the Forest of Galtres, and probably began with a single house in the cleared wood called Hus-thwaite. The village was once renowned for its plenitude of orchards, and many of these still remain, particularly those attached to the older properties and farms. From the early part of the 20th century until the 1950s, apples, plums, pears and damsons were distributed to towns and villages, although this commercial traffic has now ceased. Such evocative farm names as Flower-o'-May and Throstle Nest testify to the rural heritage of Husthwaite.
The old and the new have integrated well. Villagers born and bred in the village live happily side by side with newcomers from around the UK. The old village hall located at the top of the Nooking and purchased from the Ripon Army camp in 1920 for £100 is still where much of Husthwaite's social and community activities are conducted. These range from playgroups to children's clubs, from domino and whist drives to dances and theatrical events.
During World War II the building was enlarged and a stage added and in 1993 the building underwent modernisation, which included a new kitchen and toilets. However, its days are now numbered, as a site for a new village hall has been located. As we enter the new millennium, plans are afoot to build a new hall with car parking facilities near to the Primary School. We are very proud of the thriving Church of England Primary School, which was built in 1974 and is also used by the children of Coxwold, Carlton Husthwaite, Oldstead, Oulston and Raskelf.
The population has varied little in size over the last 150 years, with 429 residents recorded in the census of 1851, 410 in 1997 and an estimated 420 in the year 1998.
Religion forms an important part of village life with both St Nicholas and the newly renovated Methodist Chapel co-operating ecumenically and frequently sharing services. The Methodist Chapel was built in 1928 to replace the original chapel erected in 1840, which has now been converted into a private dwelling. The bonds between the churches and the school are strong, and pupils and teachers often form a substantial part of Sunday congregations.
The village can still boast a pub, the Blacksmith's Arms, and a bus service, as well as a thriving well-stocked village shop - the place to be if you wish to know what is happening! The village is also home to the "squirrel" woodcarver, whose showroom is well worth a visit.
Husthwaite is a self-help community with residents keeping a watchful eye over the elderly and the sick. Nobody is alone in Husthwaite!
Husthwaite from Baine's Directory of the County of York 1823
Will require Adobe Reader to view
HIGHTHORN, (the seat of William Hotham, Esq.) in the township and parish of Husthwaite; 4 miles from Easingwold.
PEEP O'DAY, a farm house in the township and parish of Husthwaite; 1.5 mile from Easingwold.
Carlton Husthwaite was also in the parish of Husthwaite.
Further information on the history of Husthwaite
For a more detailed history, look at the local history page on the village website
Go to the Husthwaite Local Hisory Society website for the current work looking at the origins of Husthwaite through the last 1000 years or more.