Hambleton parish population estimate: 170 (2000)
Carlton Husthwaite is a small village to the north of Easingwold, one mile from the A19. The name of the village is derived from four Old English words: carl , meaning "a common man", tun , "enclosure" or "farm", hus "house" and thwaite "ground cleared of forest".
At the time of the Domesday Book survey of 1086, Ulchel had four carucates of land in Carlton to be taxed, and two ploughs. The church dates from the 17th century; the pulpit, with sounding board, is dated 1678. A lovely green in front of the church has a fine chestnut tree in its centre.
The village has several fine houses, the Old Hall, Manor House and the Hall. There is also a fine thatched cottage which was restored in the 1960s and is maintained in beautiful order. Another house of interest is Carlton House - above the door the initials BK and the date 1674 can be seen.
Today there are several businesses in the village - Fox Furniture using English oak in the Old Hall workshop at the top of Croft Lane; a homely and updated restaurant in the Carlton Inn (now renamed as the Carlton Bore); and a very talented blacksmith at the eastern end of Back Lane, who does wrought ironwork, general restoration, and who specialises in fireplaces, domestic and garden ironwork.
John Butler, Carlton Husthwaite 1987,
amended by A E Pook, Carlton Husthwaite 2000
from Baine's Directory of the County of York 1823
Will require Adobe Reader to view
Here is a Chapel of Ease. The Rev. J. Winter is the curate. Population 169.