VISIT Easingwold- Yorkshire at its best

BIRDFORTH

 Hambleton parish population estimate:

1991

10

2000

10

 The area known as Birdforth was an important part of the North Riding for many centuries. An early settlement was founded and a church built where the A19 crosses the Birdforth beck. The foundations of the settlement go back some two thousand years to the time of St Chad.

 In Anglo-Saxon times, warriors from neighbouring tribes would meet here with their weapons and touch the chief's spear to show allegiance to the king. This is said to be the origin of the northern word wapentake, which came to mean an administrative subdivision of a shire, corresponding to the southern hundred. Birdforth wapentake extended north to Stokesley, east to the Howardian Hills and west to the river Yore (Ure).  Surprising, bearing in mind the size of the hamlet today!

When the plague struck, the village was burned, like many others, leaving just the church standing in isolation.

In 1685 Birdforth Hall was built and the church renovated. In 1875 work was started on a school to serve the children of the local villagers, and over the years it educated many families in the area. Their names are still to be found hereabouts. But in 1961 the school closed when children from small village schools were bussed to larger premises in Thirsk, Husthwaite or Easingwold.

The old school was at first used by a farmer as a grain store, but in 1983 it was renovated and reopened as what is today The Corner Cupboard Restaurant and interior design shop, providing a pleasant out-of-town venue for anyone wishing an interesting meal (no evening meals).

Malcolm Wride

 


 

 from Baine's Directory of the County of York 1823

 

Map of Birdforth - 1856

Or click here for a full size map (320Kb)

Will require Adobe Reader to view 

 

BIRDFORTH, (which gives name to the wapentake) in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 5.5 miles SE. of Thirsk. Here is a Chapel of Ease, of which the Rev. John Overton, B. A. is curate. Population, 42

Location

Click for more information on The George Hotel in Easingwold

Visit The George at Easingwold, and enjoy an inn renowned for its accommodation, fine food and friendly staff. You are assured the very best of Yorkshire hospitality,more.

Contact

Easingwold Tourist Information
Chapel Lane
Easingwold
York
YO61 3AE
Tel 01347 821530
Fax 01347 821530

Email us

It's a fact

Easingwold was voted the second best market town in England in a competition organised by the Council for the Protection of Rural England (CPRE)!

Supported by

Supported by: Lottery Funding